Are you looking to add some edge to your facial hair game? Look no further than the classic mustache and goatee combo. This timeless look has graced the faces of icons like Johnny Depp and Idris Elba, and it’s not hard to see why.
The mustache with a goatee adds a touch of sophistication to any man’s look, whether you’re going for a rugged, macho vibe or a suave and polished aesthetic. But achieving the perfect balance of hair and skin can be a challenge.
In this article, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about the mustache and goatee look, from how to style it to the products you’ll need to maintain it. Get ready to take your facial hair game to the next level!
History of the Mustache and Goatee Combo
The mustache and goatee combo is a timeless style that has been around for centuries, and is also commonly known as the Van Dyke style. The name comes from the 17th-century Flemish painter Anthony van Dyck, who was known for sporting a beard with a pointed mustache. The Van Dyke style typically features a small, neatly trimmed goatee and a mustache that is pointed at the ends, giving it a distinguished and refined appearance.
This style gained popularity in the 19th century with the rise of the dapper gentleman, and it wasn’t until the 20th century that it really took off. Hollywood legends like Clark Gable and Errol Flynn made the Van Dyke their signature style, and it became synonymous with the debonair leading man.
In recent years, the Van Dyke has experienced a resurgence in popularity, especially among younger men. It’s seen as a way to add a bit of edge and individuality to your look, while still maintaining a professional appearance. The versatility of the style allows you to tailor it to your face shape and personal style, whether you prefer a thick, bushy mustache or a more subtle, refined look.
Whether you’re looking to channel your inner classic Hollywood heartthrob or simply want to add some flair to your daily look, the Van Dyke style is a classic facial hair style that’s sure to turn heads.
Advantages of the Van Dyke
The Van Dyke style, featuring a mustache and goatee, offers a number of advantages for men looking to add some flair to their facial hair game. Here are just a few of the benefits of this classic style:
Versatility in style: The Van Dyke style is highly versatile, making it easy to customize to your personal taste. You can opt for a full or partial goatee, a thick or thin mustache, or even experiment with different shapes and styles. This versatility allows you to find the perfect balance of hair and skin to suit your individual style.
Complements various face shapes: Another advantage of the Van Dyke style is that it complements a wide range of face shapes. Whether you have a round, square, or oval face, this style can be tailored to flatter your unique features. For example, a long, narrow goatee can help elongate a round face, while a shorter, wider goatee can help balance a square jawline.
Easy maintenance and grooming: One of the best things about the Van Dyke style is how easy it is to maintain and groom. With regular trimming and shaping, you can keep your mustache and goatee looking neat and tidy, without spending hours in front of the mirror. A beard trimmer, scissors, and a good quality beard oil or balm are all you need to keep your facial hair looking its best.
How to Achieve the Perfect Goatee with Mustache
Achieving the perfect Van Dyke goatee with mustache can seem like a daunting task, but with a little know-how and some basic tools, anyone can achieve this classic style. Here’s a step-by-step guide to trimming and shaping your goatee and mustache:
- Grow out your facial hair: The first step to achieving the perfect goatee with mustache is to grow out your facial hair. It’s best to wait at least two weeks before attempting to trim or shape your beard, as this will give your hair a chance to grow in evenly.
- Trim your beard: Once your facial hair has grown in, it’s time to trim your beard to the desired length. Use a beard trimmer to remove any excess hair, and then use scissors to trim your mustache and goatee to the desired shape.
- Shape your goatee: Next, it’s time to shape your goatee. Use a comb to brush your goatee hair downward, and then trim the hair that extends beyond your desired shape using scissors or a beard trimmer.
- Shape your mustache: Once your goatee is trimmed to the desired shape, it’s time to focus on your mustache. Comb your mustache hair downward, and then trim the hair that extends beyond your desired shape.
- Apply beard oil or balm: To keep your goatee and mustache looking neat and tidy, apply a small amount of beard oil or balm to your facial hair. This will help moisturize your hair and keep it looking healthy.
Maintenance Tips for Your Mustache and Goatee
Achieving the perfect Van Dyke is just the first step – proper maintenance is crucial for keeping your facial hair looking neat and healthy. Here’s a step-by-step guide for maintaining your goatee and mustache:
- Trim regularly: To keep your goatee and mustache looking neat and tidy, it’s important to trim regularly. This will prevent your facial hair from becoming unruly and help maintain its shape. Depending on how fast your hair grows, you may need to trim every few days or once a week.
- Use beard oil or balm: Applying beard oil or balm can help moisturize your facial hair and prevent dryness and itchiness. It can also help tame frizz and make your beard appear fuller and healthier. Apply a small amount daily or as needed.
- Wash regularly: Just like the hair on your head, your facial hair needs to be washed regularly to keep it clean and healthy. Use a mild shampoo or beard wash to cleanse your beard and mustache a few times a week.
- Comb or brush daily: To keep your goatee and mustache looking neat and tidy, it’s important to comb or brush them daily. This will help remove any tangles or knots and keep your hair looking smooth and groomed.
In addition to these general maintenance tips, it’s important to keep your grooming tools clean and well-maintained. Keep your beard trimmer blades sharp and clean, and wash your combs and brushes regularly to prevent the buildup of dirt and bacteria.
By following these simple steps, you can maintain a perfectly groomed and stylish goatee with mustache look all year round!
In conclusion, mastering the Van Dyke goatee with mustache is a great way to add a touch of sophistication and individuality to your facial hair game. By following the steps outlined in this article and with a little maintenance and grooming, you can achieve a timeless and modern look that’s both versatile and stylish.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different shapes and styles to find the perfect fit for you. Go ahead and try out this classic style with confidence and take your facial hair game to the next level!