Patrick Bateman, the fictional and iconic character from the film American Psycho, represents everything we love and hate, about Wall Street. Christian Bale’s portrayal of this handsome, charismatic, and dangerous man captivates our imagination, and his signature haircut is the cultural touchstone.
The Patrick Bateman haircut is a slicked-back style with a side part that perfectly complements Bateman’s sharp suits and killer instincts. Since the release of American Psycho, the Patrick Bateman haircut has become a cultural phenomenon, with men worldwide emulating the style to channel Bateman’s power and confidence. It’s a testament to the enduring influence of the movie and the enduring appeal of a truly killer haircut.
So, if you’re looking for a haircut sure to impress, you’ve come to the right place.
Getting the Look
The essence of Bateman’s style boils down to a slicked-back aesthetic. While the cut itself isn’t overly intricate, the devil is in the details of the styling. Remember, this isn’t the time to cut corners – find a skilled barber who knows their craft.
Don’t go in expecting your barber to know what haircut Patrick Bateman has; instead, ask for a slick-back look. Any experienced barber will understand what this means, but be sure to express that you’d prefer to leave enough length so the hair can be combed back smoothly.
How to Style it
The perfect look doesn’t stop at the barber. Like many other hairstyles, the Bateman look requires regular styling at home.
Thankfully, with some simple hair products like a comb, hair clay, and a hair dryer, you can ace this look. Simply follow these tips;
- Start with a hair wash, preferably using conditioner or a combination of shampoo and conditioner. Avoid daily shampooing to maintain your hair’s natural luster. A thorough cleanse a few times a week should suffice, as washing too frequently can harm your hair.
- Directly after your shower, comb your hair back to establish that sleek shape.
- Work a pea-sized amount of clay product through your hair, ensuring it’s evenly distributed. For a ‘dry’ look rather than ‘wet’, follow the product’s guidance.
- Brush your hair back and slightly to each side, establishing a natural part over time.
- Now, it’s time to blow-dry. Aim the dryer from the middle of your head outward, guiding the hair from your part toward the sides. Repeat on both sides for consistency.
- Once dry, fine-tune your look with some final brushing and a touch more clay if needed. If necessary, a light mist of hairspray in strategic areas can be applied. Less is more at this stage.
Perfecting the Look
When trying out new things, it’s important to remember that perfection doesn’t come instantly. Your first few attempts may not turn out as well as you hoped, but that’s alright. To prepare, try styling your hair when you don’t have any commitments. This gives you plenty of time to retry or try a different style if it doesn’t turn out as planned.
With practice and patience, you can master the Patrick Bateman haircut.
Like all haircuts, it’s important to keep it trimmed to maintain its look. It’s best to visit the barber every 3 to 4 weeks for a trim to keep it looking perfect.
Other Styles to Consider
While the Patrick Bateman haircut exudes a certain Wall Street flair, there are several other styles that might be of interest if you’re drawn to this polished aesthetic. Here are a few alternatives to consider:
- The Classic Side Part: This timeless look complements a well-tailored suit like no other. This sophisticated hairstyle can be tailored to different hair lengths and textures by using a small amount of grooming pomade and a comb to achieve a well-defined side part.
- The Undercut: For those seeking a contemporary twist, the undercut offers a sharp contrast between the closely trimmed sides and the longer top. This style exudes a confident, modern vibe that pairs seamlessly with both business attire and casual ensembles.
- The Textured Quiff: If you’re after a style with a touch of casual refinement, the textured quiff might be the perfect fit. This versatile look offers a balance between structure and natural movement. Achieve it by blow-drying your hair upwards and using a matte styling product for a subtle, controlled finish.
- The Clean Taper Fade: This style maintains a neat appearance while providing a touch of contemporary edge. With a gradual fade on the sides and back, it exudes a sharp, refined look that complements various face shapes.
- The Modern Pompadour: Evolving from its rock ‘n’ roll roots, the modern pompadour offers a sleek, polished appearance with a hint of rebellion. This style involves brushing the hair back and upwards, creating volume and a distinctive silhouette.
- The Low Maintenance Buzz Cut: For those who prefer a no-fuss approach, the buzz cut is a minimalist yet stylish choice. It’s clean, confident, and requires minimal upkeep. It’s a go-to option for those with a preference for simplicity.
Remember, the key to any successful haircut is finding one that aligns with your personal style, face shape, and lifestyle. Consult with your trusted barber to explore which option best suits you. The goal is to exude confidence, whether you’re closing deals on Wall Street or making your mark elsewhere.
In conclusion, the Patrick Bateman haircut is a testament to the enduring influence of the movie American Psycho and the enduring appeal of a truly killer haircut. Its popularity is due to its association with power and success.
Whether you’re a business executive, or not, the Patrick Bateman haircut is a great choice that exudes confidence and sophistication.